Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Experiments,Guinea Pigs and New recipes

So the recipe of Chicken and Sweet Potatoe Stew was a hit! Everyone loved it including my picky eater.....The stew had a spicy but sweet consistency to it. The one thing I did differently was when it came to spices I add Italian seasoning instead of just the oregano. When it came to the chili powder I didn't have any so I add in Cajun seasoning but I only used 1/2 of teaspoon instead of a full teaspoon. I also used canned chicken instead of fresh and it was really good.

Forrest gave me a challenge today for dinner. He want enchiladas w/ red sauce....Since payday and shopping are on Friday I am making my own sauce for this adventure! After going to different sites and looking for different recipes here is the one I have decided on. This recipe is from allrecipes.com but I add in one of the comments from the site that gave more directions on making the sauce. So I will post if it was a success or not! See ya tomorrow.....

Red Sauce for Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 cup salsa
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
2. Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes

EDIT: I have used 1 can of tomato juice and omitted paste/water. If you do it this way, I'd suggest a long simmer. Also my choice is CALVIN AND CLEOS™ salsa. Tried Pace™/Old El Paso™, even my own home made, but commercially, there’s tasted best in at least this recipe.
Make enchilada filling from 2lb hamburger, 1 medium onion, 1lb Velveeta cubed, or shredded, and about 1/2 cup of this sauce, roll your filling up, Pour about a cup on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, Place rolled enchiladas in cake pan, pour the rest of this sauce over it all, and top with shredded cheddar, bake for 30 min @ 350. YUMMMM

No comments: